The Polonia Hotel is located in the city center between the Main Railway Station and the Market Square. It takes just 10 minutes to walk from Polonia to the historical center and other touristic places in Wroclaw. Thanks to convenient location it’s really easy to reach any place in Wroclaw from the hotel. One of the biggest Shopping Malls Arkady in Wrocław it is only 100 meters far from Polonia. You can reach the Airport in 30 minutes ( from Renoma Shopping Malls – 300 meters from the hotel with the line No 406)
Polonia Hotel belongs to the chain Wroclaw Historic Hotels which is a part of the POLISH capital group DEXPOL S.A.
An additional advantage of the hotel is its convenient location in the very center of Wroclaw. The Market Square and historic district Ostrow Tumski ( Cathedral Island) are only 900 meters away from the hotel. Music Theater “Capitol” and the largest and the most significant Opera house in Poland are places located in immediate vicinity of the Polonia Hotel. Our hotel staff in a professional way will take care to meet expectations of our guests.
Polonia Hotel Wrocław – ul. Piłsudskiego 66/70; until 1945 – Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
The first building existing in this place was the suburban classicist villa most probably dating back to the 1830s (the oldest one in the northern frontage of Gartenstrasse) which belonged to F. Brüchner and then Lippmann. From the 1870s it was owned by Julius Heymann from whom the company bought the land and the real property.
In 1906 the mansion shared the fate of the majority of the 19th-century buildings in this region and was pulled down, and the area was designated for the construction of a tenement house which, after all, was not built. In the same year a decision was made on the construction of a hotel according to the plans of the architect Paul Rother. In 1911 one of the biggest, most elegant and most expensive hotels in Wrocław of that time was opened. The building comprised the front part and side and back wings which formed an internal yard. The most elegant front facade referred to a Baroque palace. Attention was attracted by the large windows on the ground floor and semi circularly headed windows on the first floor together with balconies situated above them, forming a kind of a balustrade decorated with vases made of stone. In the center there was a seven-axial pseudorisalit topped with a mansard roof and an additional storey – a belvedere with an observation deck. On the lowest floor there were shops which one could enter from the street level. On the first floor there were: a two-storey ballroom with galleries and a lacunar, restaurants, cafes decorated with various paintings and a beautiful fireplace, a billiard hall and club premises which housed the elite English-styled ‘Schlesischer Klub’. In the remaining part there were 120 rooms to which 5 staircases led.
In the 1920s and 1930s minor renovations and reconstructions of the hotel were conducted which were to improve its functionality and better adjust it to the guests’ needs. Moreover, for this purpose adjacent plots were purchased: the square behind the hotel in which a cafe and a wine bar with porches, and a ballroom with a podium for bands and an extensive deck and a dance floor were located, and the real property situated at ul. Nowoświdnicka 16. In 1939, according to the design of Otto Schenderlein, general reconstruction of the hotel took place, due to which it gained its simplified form typical of the Third Reich architecture. The most noticeable change was depriving the hotel of its original Art Nouveau and Baroque features and liquidation of the ave-bell on the roof. Slightly damaged during the Festung Breslau siege, the hotel soon started to function among the smoldering ruins of the devastated city, but under the new name ‘POLONIA’.
In the 1950s, after the ruined tenement houses were pulled down, next to the hotel the eastern wing of Kościuszkowska Dzielnica Mieszkaniowa [KDM] (Kościuszko Housing District) was built. As one of few hotels in the city in the first postwar years it included garages for passenger cars and lorries. In the 1960s it offered 54 single rooom, 54 bathrooms, 35 suites, a TV club, telephones in all the rooms, express laundry service and hairdresser’s services.
On the ground floor of the hotel there was ‘Tempo Bar’ which gained popularity very quickly and, over time, became a cult bar of this hotel. ‘Tempo’ was a Czech-kind bar characterized by isolated stands; it was the second most profitable bar in Poland (following the Warsaw ‘Praha’). The bar comprised two rooms. In the first one, which was the front one, desserts, coffee and beer were served, and in the second one dinners and delicatessen goods, also takeaway ones, were sold.
One of the scenes of the crime story ‘Dżuma w Breslau’ (The Plague in Breslau) by Marek Krajewski published in 2007 is laid in the hotel’s billiard hall.